1. George G. Barnum, who built his home in 1910 and whose home is now The Firelight Inn Bed and Breakfast, is a long distant relative of P.T. Barnum of the Barnum & Bailey Circus.
2. Oregon Creek that flows to Lake Superior adjoining The Firelight Inn’s property was not named after the state of Oregon but rather a family that lived in Duluth, Minnesota.
3. The guests who have returned to The Firelight Inn the most times are Joel and Carma who have been here 17 times and their 18th visit is scheduled for May, 2009.
4. The Firelight Inn has 12 fireplaces.
5. The Firelight Inn has 9 bathrooms.
6. The Firelight Inn has 5 Jacuzzi whirlpool tubs.
7. The kitchen at The Firelight Inn has 3 sinks and 2 dishwashers.
8. The laundry room at The Firelight Inn has 2 Maytag washing machines, 2 Maytag dryers and the original three-division soapstone sink.
9. Innkeepers Jim and Joy Fischer are the fifth owners of the historic home, moving to Duluth from Bloomington, Minnesota.
10. The renovation from private home to The Firelight Inn began on March 25, 1998 and the inn opened two and one half months later on June 17, 1998.
11. Some of the African Violets that grow by the dining room windows are over 30 years old and were given to Joy by her mother. The others were given to Joy from a guest who stayed with us.
12. The Firelight Inn was featured in the Better Homes & Gardens Magazine in April, 2008. The writer stayed “incognito”.
13. In early 1999 Minneapolis Star Tribune Taste Editor Lee Svitak Dean stayed at The Firelight Inn for her wedding anniversary. At that time we didn’t know what she did for a career.
14. The Firelight Inn has hosted 54 wedding proposals (that we know about!).
15. The Firelight Inn has been featured by Minnesota Monthly, was chosen #1 Bed and Breakfast in the North and Best for Honeymoon/Anniversary, and has been featured on WCCO Radio.
16. The Firelight Inn sits on four city lots in the historic mansion district of Duluth, Minnesota.
17. The woodwork in The Firelight Inn is made from first-cut trees at the turn of the century and most is quarter-sawn white oak.
18. The Firelight Inn offers a “Fire Up Your Relationship” weekend March 20-21 or April 3-4, 2009. All the details of the weekend and including the complimentary massages are on the Getaway Specials page of our website.
19. The Firelight Inn is offering a complimentary bottle of wine or sparkling juice when you make your reservation and tell us you read our “25 Random Things” on our blog.
20. The Firelight Inn is your perfect getaway!
21. Our specialty is delivering your complete gourmet breakfast to your suite each morning!
22. The Firelight Inn has over 150 movies to choose from and enjoy during your stay.
23. Oregon Creek which adjoins The Firelight Inn’s property, attracts birds of all kinds, deer, fox, bear and other wildlife.
24. The Firelight Inn is one of the most romantic destinations in the Upper Midwest.
25. The Firelight Inn offers relaxation massage therapy, hot stone massage therapy, sea weed wraps and Couples Teaching Massage on site in the Woodland Suite by contracted certified Massage Therapists.
We hope to see you on your next trip to Duluth!