You need to consider a trip to Duluth, MN in 2010 and travel the Circle Tour around Lake Superior! A fantastic stay at The Firelight Inn Duluth Bed and Breakfast will set the mood as you start your adventurous trip.
Here are a few facts about beautiful Lake Superior you may not know:
* Lake Superior contains 10% of all the fresh water on the planet earth.
* By surface area it is the largest lake in the world.
* There is enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and South America with water a foot deep.
* There are 78 different species of fish that call the big lake home.
* The maximum wave ever recorded on Lake Superior was 9.45 meters or 31 feet high.
* The deepest point in the lake is 405 meters or 1,333 feet.
* If you stretched the shoreline of Lake Superior out to a straight line, it would be long enough to reach from Duluth, Minnesota to the Bahamas.
* Over 300 streams and rivers empty into Lake Superior with the largest source being the Nipigon River.
* The average underwater visibility of Lake Superior is about 8 meters or 27 feet, making it the cleanest and clearest of the Great Lakes. Underwater visibility in some spots reaches 30 meters.
* In the summer, the sun sets more than 35 minutes later on the western shore of Lake Superior than at its southeastern edge.
So there you have it–wonderful impressive facts about Lake Superior! Now you need to make your reservations at The Firelight Inn for your spring, summer, winter or fall getaway. We are celebrating all year long during 2010 because George G. Barnum‘s home is 100 years old. On our website click through to the Current Specials page to see each monthly special offer. We hope to see you on your next trip to Duluth!
Joy and Jim Fischer, Innkeepers/Owners
The Firelight Inn on Oregon Creek
Celebrating 100 years of history in 2010